Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Pattern!


It's super-basic, but I'm still proud of it. I couldn't find a pattern that exactly matched the picture I had in my head of a simple baby hat to make with my lovely Maple View Farm Alpaca yarn, so I made up a gauge swatch, did a little math, and voila!












Here's the pattern:


Use bulky yarn, size 9 needles

Gauge = 3.5 st/in in stockinette



CO 46 Stitches

knit in round

Knit 4 rows in garter stitch:
(Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Purl)

Knit in stockinette until hat is 3" tall. Then start decreases:

K2tog, knit around: 45 stitches
[k7, SSK] to end of row
K around
[k6, SSK] to end of row
K around
[k5, SSK] to end of row
K around
[k4, SSK] to end of row
[k3, SSK] to end of row
[k2, SSK] to end of row
[k1, SSK] to end of row
[SSK] to end of row

Draw end of yarn through remaining loops; weave in ends.



I made Kristi Porter's Bulky Bibbed Baby Pullover to match.

2 comments:

Sam said...

congrats on the pattern!

Its lovely :)

Camille said...

Thanks so much for sharing this pattern! It was the perfect use for one skein of Araucania Copihue (only 48 yards!) that had been sitting in my stash for ages. I whipped one up in no time.